Good Cheer Food Bank & Thrift Stores is seeking a proven forward-thinking leader to take on the role of Executive Director.
Good Cheer is a well-established and widely-respected nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization. Our main office, innovative food bank, and extensive vegetable gardens are located in Bayview. Our popular thrift stores are located in Langley and Clinton, Washington.
Good Cheer is governed by a 15-member volunteer board of directors. There are currently 20 enthusiastic employees and 400 motivated volunteers. Our food bank serves approximately 800 families each month.
The Executive Director is a full-time position reporting to the President of the Board.
An excellent communicator and proven leader, the successful candidate will have a passion for our mission which is to provide a hunger-free community on South Whidbey Island. The chosen candidate will have strong interpersonal communication skills; be a strategic thinker; provide positive motivation and clear direction to staff; encourage volunteers; and build strong relationships with community partners, contractors, and donors.
– Experience in planning, managing finances, and working with boards;
– Successful fundraising record, including implementing and pursuing diverse fundraising strategies;
– Excellent relationship-building and problem-solving skills
– Demonstrated ability to train, manage, motivate, and evaluate staff and volunteers;
– Ability to effectively relate to persons of diverse ages, backgrounds, skills and abilities
– Creative and resourceful with an ability to work within an evolving forward-looking environment
– Willingness to help in all areas as needed
– Strong writing and public presentation skills
– Working knowledge of relevant state, local and federal laws, regulations, and industry standards
Experience and Education
– A relevant bachelor’s degree and 3 years progressive experience in the not-for-profit field.
An advanced degree in a relevant area of study is preferred.
– Strong retail management experience is a plus.
Specific Responsibilities — See formal Job Description
Compensation — Based on applicant’s experience and qualifications.
Submit a comprehensive resume (limit two pages), three professional references, and cover letter indicating how your background makes you our ideal candidate to:
Good Cheer Board President
PO Box 144
Langley, WA 98260
or via email to BoardPresident@goodcheer.org indicating subject as: “Application for ED Position”
GOOD CHEER FOOD BANK AND THRIFT STORES
Position/Title: Executive Director (E.D.)
Direct Supervisor: Good Cheer Board President
Overall Responsibilities: Responsible to the Board of Directors (Board) for the overall management of Good Cheer Food Bank , its thrift stores and all other programs approved by the Board. The Executive Director works with the Board of Directors and is responsible for managing, evaluating, and improving the implementation of the organization’s goals and objectives.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Work with the Board and other key staff to establish long range strategies designed to achieve the organization’s goals.
- Provide leadership in developing programs, organizational structures and financial plans as supported by the Board.
- Maintain official records and documents and ensure compliance with all governmental regulations and the Good Cheer document retention policy.
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field. Attend conferences on professional development and leadership as appropriate.
- Inform the Board in a timely and comprehensive manner regarding the condition of the organization and all important factors influencing it. E.D. will prepare a monthly written report preparatory to all Board meetings.
- Effectively publicize the activities of the organization, its program and goals.
- Establish and maintain sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with community groups , governmental agencies and organizations pertinent to Good Cheer’s mission.
- Establish and maintain a professional working relationship with Board, staff and volunteers.
- Evaluate programs and activities to determine their effectiveness in accomplishing Good Cheer’s mission.
- Prepare comprehensive and adequately-detailed annual budget proposals for approval by the Board.
- Establish and implement a plan for the effective management, training and evaluation of staff and volunteers.
- Organize and facilitate appropriate fundraising activities to supplement income necessary to meet Good Cheer’s financial requirements.
- Additional duties as determined by the Board of Directors.